The concept of Tama 38 arose from the authorities’ becoming aware that many buildings in Israel do not comply with Standard 413, the Israeli standard regarding regulations for buildings to resist earthquakes and the fear that, if a powerful earthquake occurred, many buildings could collapse.
Israel's location on the Syrian-African Rift places our country at a high level of risk that such earthquakes could occur. Of course, we cannot prevent an earthquake, but adequate measures could improve the resistance of such buildings and reduce the huge potential damage and loss of life that earthquakes can cause.
Tama 38 provides two main solutions to ensure resistance of buildings, based on the data of each building:
- TAMA 38/1: Strengthening of existing buildings against earthquakes
- TAMA 38/2: Demolition and reconstruction of buildings
In addition to strengthening buildings against earthquakes, Tama 38 provides apartment owners with significant improvements to their individual apartments. Among other things, the owners will benefit from the addition of a safe room and a balcony, an elevator in the building and parking, as well as the remodeling and general renovation of the interior and exterior of the building. And all that at no cost to the owners.
Added to the significant improvement in the quality of life for the building’s residents, the value of the apartments will be greatly increased and can be sold at a much higher price, or alternatively, can be rented out at a much higher rate.
The implementation of Tama 38 is not a simple matter. It requires complex financial arrangements and solutions to complex and multifaceted problems due to the requirements from various authorities and administrations in charge of this work and many professionals, such as engineers, architects, contractors, electricians and plumbers.
- Y Box saves apartment owners from having to deal with commitments and discussions with each of the above authorities and professionals.
- Y Box answers all the apartment owners’ questions and takes on the responsibility for all the steps and matters relating to the project until its completion.
- Y Box provides the apartment owners with an information center, where experts respond to all their questions or any problems that arise during the renovation process.
- Y Box has considerable financial strength, ensuring the apartment owners peace of mind and security regarding the success of the renovation.
- Y Box has extensive construction experience in residential projects of all kinds and is an expert in solving problems that may arise with respect to the building’s inhabitants and towards the authorities.
- Y Box works with teams of architects, engineers, contractors and topnotch professionals, who have extensive experience in working with local authorities and residents regarding Tama 38.
- Y Box professionals are the ideal point where the realization of your dreams meets the provisions of the laws enacted by the authorities to Tama 38.
Y Box specializes in counseling and finding solutions to problems and disagreements that may arise among the residents at the stage prior to making the decision to examine the possibility of implementing the Tama 38 plan.
Y Box helps find solutions for variations in the benefits granted to different apartments.
Tama 38/1: Strengthening existing buildings
The objective of the Tama 38/1 program is to strengthen existing buildings against the risk of earthquakes. The goal of the program is to encourage entrepreneurs and apartment owners to reinforce old buildings that do not meet the 413 standard that defines a building’s resistance levels in the event of an earthquake.
The benefits of Tama 38/1:
In addition to strengthening a building against earthquakes, Tama 38/1 provides the building with a number of additions and improvements, depending on the conditions of the property and the authorities’ planning policy. These improvements include the addition of a safe room; an elevator and a balcony; renovation of the facade and an upgrade of the lobby; addition of parking spaces; and renovation of old installations, such as replacing pipes and electrical installations, insulating the roof and repairing defects or damages.
Benefits for apartment owners:
The steps to implement Tamah 38/1 in your building:
- Upgrading the apartment at no cost to the owner
- Substantial improvement in the quality of life of residents who live in the renovated and expanded apartment building, which will include an additional balcony, a safe room, an elevator and parking
- The elevator will broaden the range of potential tenants, such as the elderly and families with small children
- Significant increase in the value of the apartments in the building
- Increased rental earnings of the renovated apartments
- Easy access for the disabled
- Contact Y Box to receive initial advice and explanations about the process of implementing Tama 38/1.
- Apartment owners sign an initial non-binding agreement about the implementation of Tama 38/1 plans for the building. The signatures on the form, although not binding the tenants to implementing Tama 38/1 in the building or even to their intention of entrusting such implementation to Y Box, is proof of the owners’ sincerity and encourages the contractor to commit the necessary expenses for feasibility studies and prepare the best possible proposal for them.
- Appointment of a representative committee or a committee of apartment owners that is authorized to receive offers and negotiate with Y Box for all aspects related to the implementation of Tama 38/1 in the building. Note: All decisions regarding the project will be made by means of an organized vote, which will take place at the meeting of all the apartment owners.
- An initial feasibility study and a visit to the building by architects and engineers sent by Y Box to verify if the building meets the conditions specified in the Tama 38/1 plan.
- A meeting with the Y Box team to obtain a more detailed explanation of the process and to see how it complies with the residents’ desires.
- Preparation of an initial proposal for residents, including a sketch plan. Measurement and draft plans for a typical building level and the ground floor of the building, showing the improvements that will benefit the apartment owners, as well as details of these improvements.
- Meeting of owners with an architect to present the program, to answer questions and to accept the proposed plan. This agreement in principle of the program constitutes the legal basis for negotiations on the project with Y Box.
- Appointment of a real estate attorney who specializes in Tama 38/1 to represent the apartment owners and lead the negotiations to reach an agreement with Y Box. Y Box will pay the lawyer’s fees.
- The signing of a final agreement between the apartment owners and Y Box. This agreement will protect the rights of the owners and give them all the necessary guarantees for the implementation of the program
- Preparation of detailed plans. As part of the application to the municipality for a building permit, Y Box’s professional team will prepare a detailed plan of the entire building, which will include the technical specifications of the apartments in the building. The plans will be presented to the apartment owners for their approval.
- After receiving the building permit, Y Box will select contractors and experts in the field to execute the final plan. All Y Box experts are highly qualified and experienced in their field, and the quality of their work is approved by Y Box.
- Once the Tama 38/1 plan is implemented, Y Box will set up an information center, where the company's agents will answer all the residents’ questions.
Urban Renewal Tama 38/2
The purpose of the Tama 38 plan is to strengthen existing buildings to enable them to withstand earthquakes. If a building is too old or too dilapidated to be reinforced, Tama 38/2 allows for the building to be torn down and a new one constructed in its place. The new building will contain more apartments than before and will benefit from new high-quality infrastructures.
Evacuating a building of its inhabitants, demolishing the building, rehousing the residents in interim apartments and constructing a new building involves complex and detailed coordination, the intervention of a number of professionals, as well as negotiations with local authorities and local or regional building committees and more.
Y Box takes over the coordination and management of the project from beginning to end and saves the occupants of the building from having to go through all the steps with the various agencies. Y Box has financial strength and solid experience in the administrative maze of residential construction and offers apartment owners all the guarantees necessary for the successful implementation of the project. In addition, Y Box finances the rental of interim apartments for the residents of the old building to live in until the new one is completed.
The benefits granted to apartment owners:
- A new apartment, sometimes larger than the previous one.
- The opportunity to plan the layout of the new apartment according to their needs and desires.
- Security: A safe room is added to the new apartments.
- Addition of many service features in the new building, such as an elevator. The owners will also benefit from adjacent parking spaces, luxurious lobby and stairways, storage room and more.
- Increase value. The new apartment will be worth tens of percent more than the old one. It may even double in value.
- Increased amount of rental income (if rented out)
- An expanded range of potential tenants in the building.
- Receipt of all these benefits at absolutely no cost to the owners.
The implementation stages for your building:
- First, contact Y Box to receive initial information and advice about the implementation process of the Tama 38/2 plan, which is similar to that of Tama 38/1, the strengthening of existing buildings.
- The apartment owners sign a non-binding agreement in principle for the implementation of Tama 38/2 for the building. The signatures on the form, although not binding the apartment owners to implement Tama 38/2 in the building nor their intention to entrust such implementation to YBOX, is proof of the seriousness of the owners and encourages the contractor to commit the necessary expenses for feasibility studies and prepare the best possible proposal for them. Note: The Tama 38/2 project requires the consensus of 100% of the apartment owners.
- Appointment of a representative or a committee of owners that is authorized to receive offers and negotiate with Y Box for all aspects related to the implementation of Tama 38/2 in the building. Note: All decisions regarding the project will be made by means of an organized vote, which will take place at a meeting of all the apartment owners.
- Undertaking an initial feasibility study, including legal and technical verifications to ensure that the building meets the conditions specified in the Tama 38/2 plan. The verification includes the creation of an information file and collecting data on construction rights and the specific instructions of the local authorities for the area and for the professionals of the engineering building department.
- Meeting with the Y Box team to receive a more detailed explanation of the process.
- Preparation of a first draft of the plan and the specifications. Measurements and blueprints of a typical floor of the building, as well as the ground floor, to illustrate the improvements the apartment owners will benefit from.
- A meeting of the owners with the architect to present the program, answer questions and reach an agreement about Tama 38/2. This agreement in principle on the plans is the legal basis for negotiations on the project with Y Box.
- Appointment of a lawyer who specializes in Tama 38/2 to represent the apartment owners and lead the negotiations on the agreement before implementation with Y Box. Y Box will pay the lawyer’s fees.
- The signing of an achievement agreement between the apartment owners and Y Box. This agreement will protect the rights of the owners and give them all the guarantees provided by sales apartment law and for the value of the new apartment and the provision of an interim apartment.
- Preparation of detailed plans. As part of the application for the building permit required by the municipality, Y Box will prepare a detailed plan of the entire building, which will include the technical specifications of the apartments and the building itself, and present it to the owners for their approval.
- After receiving the building permit, Y Box will select entrepreneurs and professionals to execute the plan. All the professionals that Y Box employs are highly qualified and experienced in their field, and the quality of their work is approved by Y Box.
- Once the Tama 38/2 plan is implemented, Y Box will set up an information center, where agents will respond to all questions by the residents.
- Before evacuating the building, Y Box will provide interim apartments for all the residents until the new apartments are completed. In addition, Y Box will pay all the apartment owners’ moving expenses to the temporary apartments and then back to their new ones.
- Completion of construction and delivery of the new apartments to the owners.